Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Excuse Me While I Reset The Clock...

Hello!


Don't ask me how I have managed to do it so long, but I have been converting times incorrectly for you for at least two or 3 weeks now!  Pout.  By way of explanation, weather and aviation interests world wide need to be on the same clock so they know how old information is.  Because of this need, they use Universal Coordinated Time, also known as UTC or Zulu (Z) Time.  I have been subtracting the wrong number of hours to convert it to local time for you here.  Michigan and the Eastern Time Zone is four hours behind UTC during Daylight Savings Time, and five hours back during Standard Time.  So 1200 UTC or 1200Z, which is a standard time for weather observations to occur, is always 8AM Eastern Time.  I have been saying that maps at 1200Z are valid at 7AM, getting my conversions backward, when it should be 8AM.  Sorry about the mix up!

No comments:

Post a Comment