Sunday, December 8, 2013

What The Heck Is A Snow Box?

Hello Gang!

I thought I would take a minute to clarify one of my pet phrases that you'll see in my winter forecasts this year.  I use it because it's quicker typing, and people can make a mental connection with a shape bounded by some sort of lines.  Allow me to introduce the snow box.  Look at this graphic to see what I mean:


Now I must tell you that this DOES NOT always hold true.  Lake effect snow can happen anywhere up and down the lake shore, and inland as much as 100 miles or so.  It all depends on atmospheric setup and wind direction, among other things.  For instance, I left Benton Harbor out of the snow box, but they see their fair share, and sometimes more.  This box represents the best chances for accumulating snow beyond an inch or two during a lake effect snow situation.  The snow bands can also hold it together and be pushed east by winds aloft, thus dropping a couple to four inches of snow (sometimes more) as far east as the US-127 corridor (Lansing, Mason, Leslie, Jackson).

So when you see me speak of the snow box in the future, you know where I am talking about, and that I am thinking of heavier snowfall in this part of the state.

Take care!  Details on the snow in the area forthcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment